News Detail » Crusaders Power Past Sirocco Works In Shield

Crusaders Power Past Sirocco Works In Shield

Crusaders made sharp work of going through to the next round of the Co Antrim Shield when they defeated Amateur League side Sirocco Works 8-1 at Seaview. Indeed the game was over in the first 7 minutes when Crusaders lead 4-0 with Jamie McGonigle helping himself to a hat trick in 3 minutes.

Crusaders went 1-0 up in the third minute when Rodney Brown finished from close range from a corner. In the fifth minute Jamie McGonigle made it 2-0 when he got his head to a cross and he did well to direct the ball past the Sirocco Works keeper Philip Reid. It was 3-0 still in the fifth minute when Jamie McGonigle scored again directing his shot past the keeper. In the seventh minute McGonigle got his hat trick when he ran in and shot past Reid. The keeper was kept busy and he made several good saves to keep the score the way it was.  Kyle Owens and Jamie McGonigle went close on three or four occasions as Crusaders threatened time and time again. David Cushley then just failed to score from a superb Brown cross before Jamie McGonigle bagged his fourth and Crusaders fifth on 27 minutes as he tapped in after the keeper had dropped a McElroy shot. Sirocco registered a shot but it went well wide before McGinigle scored again to make it 6-0 as he tapped home a Paul McElroy shot that had crashed off the post. Reid made a good double save just before half time as the half ended 6-0.

The second half started like the first and Paul McElroy was soon on the scoresheet when he scored with a 25 yard effort past sub keeper Crothers to make it 7-0. Sirocco Works did get on the scoresheet on 51 minutes when Scott Dornan scored a good goal from 18 yards and it was 7-1. Claims for a Crusaders penalty was turned down on 57 minutes when Tom Mathieson was pulled down and soon after Billy Joe Burns went close with a curling effort that went wide. Rodney Brown had a header saved before a David Cushley header went wide. Crusaders continued to pepper the Sirocco goal without adding with Crothers making a fantastic save to deny Declan Caddell a goal on 76 minutes. It was Kyle Owens turn to hit the back post with a shot and the follow up by Rodney Brown went wide on 76 minutes while a Burns pile driver was blocked by a Sirocco defender. Crusaders got an eighth goal on 84 minutes when Tom Mathieson finished a good move off. Mathieson again had a great chance to score after working himself in to space only to shoot wide while Burns had the last chance of the night but shot over after a good touch by Caddell to set him up as the game finished 8-1.

So through to the next round where we play Ballymena United at The Showground on Tuesday 15th October and we now look towards Saturday and the visit of Glenavon in the Danske Bank Premiership.


« Back